Friday, February 20, 2009

Top Ten Hourlong Drama/Action shows

As a follow up to my sure-to-be debated top 10 Comedies list, here is my top ten hourlong drama/action shows list. Be sure to check these out:

10. Grey's Anatomy - #10 and sliding. Seriously, Izzie and a dead guy having sex? This show is setting a record for most annoying characters that I seriously don't care about. The first couple of seasons were great, some great core characters left. In danger of falling out of the top 10 if another great show comes around.

9. Pushing Daisies - another masterpiece that ended way too soon. I want to see the last 3 episodes now. Great show - whimsical, fun and completely unique. At least we got 22 episodes.

8. Mad Men - Moving up the list fast. It really nailed that era. Two best things about the show - the secretary Joan and Don Draper - one of the greatest characters ever. Awesome.

7. The West Wing - probably the 2nd best ensemble cast of all time. If only real politics were as optimistic and hopeful as this show. Jeb Bartlett would have made a fine President. Plus, I always thought Bradley Whitford's career would be judged by his role in Billy Madison, but I was wrong - this was even better.

6. Battlestar Galactica - my definite nerd show on the list. But absolutely a phenomenal show with a great ensemble cast and plots that go way beyond typical sci-fi. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it yet - down to the last few episodes ever. GREAT show.

5. The Shield - I really wanted to put this higher on the list. It just ended its amazing run - completely changed television. Violent, gritty and well written and acted. Quite possibly the best series finale of all time. Plus it actually made me appreciate Michael Chiklis as an actor, which I never thought possible. God was he bad in the Fantastic Four...

4. MI-5 - I know most people have never seen this. It's a British BBC spy show called Spooks in England. Absolutely phenomenal show - basically the intensity and tension of 24 played out every week on a global stage. It showed very early on that nothing was off limits. Do yourself a favor and rent these now.

3. 24 - With the exception of the Season 6 clunker, an absolutely groundbreaking show. Sometimes a victim of the 24 hour gimmick, but clearly one of the most exciting and tense shows ever done. Plus, tell me who's a more kick ass character ever than Jack Bauer? Did you know that Jack Bauer's tears can cure cancer? Only we'll never know because Jack Bauer never cries.

2. The Sopranos - What can I say about this show that hasn't been said already? It was like a novel unfolding on screen on a weekly basis. Tony Soprano and his crew - what a great show. Ending still has me guessing - I'm thinking he's dead, but will we ever know?

1. Lost - an absolutely mind blowing show. 95% of it is over my head and while I'm dreading the fact that the end is coming next year, I can't wait to get some answers. The BEST ensemble show of all time.

There it is - feel free to disagree...

1 comment:

  1. All I can say is....Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman. I'm disappointed in you dear!

    ReplyDelete