Wednesday, February 25, 2009

She's BAAAAACK!

So, I've been a train commuter every day for over 5 years now. I see a lot of funny things, a lot of very weird people. As a whole, train people are not an attractive lot. But, I definitely have special places in my heart for certain All-Star commuters. So, today, you can only imagine my excitement this morning when I looked across the train and who did I see but....

Crazy Chinese Lady!!! I haven't seen her for a couple of years, but I certainly missed watching her on the train. I don't think I've ever seen her without her gray hooded sweatshirt and ankle-length flowered skirt and white gym shoes. Plus a moustache to boot. It was so great to see her again.

She is a loud talker. The first time I ever saw her, she got to the train late just as it was about to leave the station, came up top and made a big show about sitting down. Finally sat down next to a guy reading the paper. She then literally spent the next 40 minutes reading over his shoulder and making conversation about the articles in the paper. Now, I could tell he didn't want to talk to her. Other people on the train could tell he didn't want to talk to her. But did that divert Crazy Chinese Lady? Hell no.

My personal anecdote with CCL goes back a few years. I was watching a movie on my dvd player and could feel eyes over my shoulder watching the movie. I understand that if you're bored and sitting around, you may glance over every so often. But, no, she was literally watching the movie (without sound, mind you) and laughing out loud. I think I was watching "The Mummy" - clearly a high point in film comedy. I paused the movie at this point and turned to look at her. I believe her reply was "That's a really neat machine." She then proceeded to pull her journal out and began writing in it. I paused my dvd player and began reading over her shoulder. She turned to me and said, "Excuse me but this is private" to which I replied, "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought we had a thing here....no?" That ended the dvd watching, but not her indomitable spirit to annoy her fellow passengers on the good ol' Milwaukee West line.

So to Crazy Chinese Lady - welcome back, we missed you.

No comments:

Post a Comment