Sunday, March 7, 2010

Post Oscars

So....guess I need to watch "The Hurt Locker." In my defense, it has been in my friggin' Netflix queue for like 3 months and I can't seem to ever get it.

Pretty good overall show - few observations:

1) The hosts are never utilized enough. Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin are hilarious - needed more of them with some of the little bits they did.

2) Good thing we had 10 Best Picture nominees. I mean it really drove interest in the other 8 movies that weren't going to win besides "Hurt Locker" or "Avatar" - I mean seriously...

3) Why do the Oscars keep screwing up the "In Memoriam" part? That is one of the best parts of the night so we can honor and remember the greats who passed away. And yet, for some insane reason, they never show the damn screen the whole time- zooming in and out, etc. Who cares if James Taylor is performing? They barely got Patrick Swayze on the screen in time b/c they were so busy showing James Taylor. Is he really doing that gig for the glitz and glamour?

4) Taylor Lautner....at the Oscars....words escape me

5) Thrilled with wins for "UP." Pixar is awesome - waiting for their first Best Picture.

6) I haven't seen "Hurt Locker" so I can't say much, but I am STUNNED that James Cameron didn't win at least Best Director for what he has done for movies with the advancements he has made with Avatar.

7) Enjoyed the John Hughes tribute - he really truly dominated the movies that were made as my generation grew up.

8) Just for fun - wouldn't this scenario have been great if the presenter said, "And the Oscar for Best Visual Effects goes to......District 9. (Pause, stunned silence) No, seriously, it is Avatar - I just wanted to see your faces when I said that."
Why even have the category this year? What would it take for Avatar to actually lose this category? Maybe that should go to Shakespeare in Love too.

9) Ultimately, I think the highlight of the night for me was the "Modern Family" promo where the families played movies charades. I was crying I was laughing so hard.

Overall solid night though. I miss Jack Nicholson in the front row though - where's he at? Go back to 5 Best Picture movies next year. Alright, time to go update the Netflix queue.

No comments:

Post a Comment