Saturday, April 3, 2010

The State of TV

Didn't really have anything else to blog about right now - you can only make fun of "fans" cheering louder for the Dunkin' Donuts scoreboard race than during the actual game, so many times. At least hockey playoffs and baseball is around the corner. But I thought now is a good time to check in on the current state of TV. Show recommendations, thoughts, etc.

1) LOST - still love it. In fact, I'm dilligently cranking through the dvds of all the seasons (almost done with season 3 right now) to see if I'm all up to speed on every reference, etc. I'm a little nervous as to how scattered the cast is and how far away we are in some ways from what makes the show so great - the chemistry between the greatest ensemble cast I've ever seen. But I remain hopeful that these last few episodes will live up to the promise and blow us away.

2) 24 - glad it's ending. A great show that sadly is limping to the finish much like Michael Jordan playing on the Wizards. And at least MJ didn't rely on the whole "Mole in CTU" routine every year. I'm seriously considering writing an online viral skit about CTU's HR people. I mean, who keeps hiring these people?

3) Comedies - some great developments this year. Modern Family is an instant classic - it reminds me so much of Arrested Development, which is high praise. Parks and Recreation has been a revelation this year. A middling show at best last year, it is at the very least, as funny as The Office, if not maybe a little more consistent. Office is still very good, better now that Jim is no longer a manager. 30 Rock had fallen off a bit but turning it around. Community has its moments but really inconsistent.

4) Reality - Amazing Race is always great, no shocker there. Survivor has had a stellar year both with the fall season and the mesmerizing Russell. This current All-Star edition is the first time in years that I am legitimately excited week to week to watch. Really good stuff. When is the regular Top Chef on again?

5) Some new things I'm watching - Have watched the first 3 episodes of Justified on TNT with Timothy Olyphant. Kind of a modern day western with a US Marshall demoted and forced to return home to rural Kentucky after a shootout in Miami. Really enjoying it so far, Olyphant is really good and the show has a tough but quirky feel to it.

Most importantly - for the love of GOD - please watch CHUCK. Easily my most anticipated show each week. Some ups and downs this year, but I absolutely love the show and the characters and feel like we need more. Last few episodes have really rounded into form, last few should be great. We can't save the show with Subway again - please give it a try and watch it.

And if NBC cancels Chuck, I will burn them down to the ground. I'm just saying.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with all of the above....but you should have included a category for "Coming Soon"...ummm...hello...GLEE, Fresh Meat????? And of course, even though it's not on until summer...you should always include Big Brother! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all of the above except Lost.
    I finally gave up on it this year.
    Wonder if Russell will make it to the end this time!!!
    Don't forget Big Bang!!!
    Can't wait for a new Top Chef, also I like it better than Top Chef Masters. :)

    ReplyDelete